RE: Normative figures

2006-01-10 10:10:22
Stewart,

        You address this to me - though I do not make these rules.

        However, I will do my best to answer your question.  In the
case you pose below, "almost incomprehensible" is the key phrase.
Had you not qualified "incomprehensible", the answer would be no,
at least IMO.

        Moreover, I believe there is evidence to this effect, as
pointed out previously, in the fact that at least one RFC is
essentially only available in PS and PDF format.

        However, as long as a text version is comprehensible, it
should be the normative version - simply because, however hard
it might be to overcome the difficulty in comprehending it for
the average reader, it is not sufficient to justify making it
absolutely impossible to comprehend for any specific minority
of readers (at least among those "minorities" that are likely
to be required to understand it).  Minorities in this context
inclide anyone who does not have the ability to use the needed
document display tools - either because they do not have them
or because they are otherwise prevented from using them.

        However, as must be apparent from other discussion in
various related threads, this is only a minority consideration.

--
Eric