Re: An important day for the IETF

2006-01-16 08:38:58
At 12:30 16/01/2006, Harald Tveit Alvestrand wrote:
Happy birthday, IETF!

Dear Harald,
you are right, happy birthday! An impressive continuity we should strive to protect. In avoiding the status quo that some stakeholders may favor, and areas outside of network engineering (such as linguistic and country political definition :-)).

Wonder how many of the original 21 are still around????
Harald, attendee since #22 (but missed #29)

Impressive. My own agenda that sad fortnight might help better understand the past, present and future of the network.

- on 12-15 January 1986 I attended the eight Telecommunications Council Eighth Annual Conference at he Hawaiian Regent Hotel in Honolulu. The theme was "Evolution of the Digital Pacific". Audience was probably 200 to 300 people. I had a lunch there with two lady training consultant for the US Army TV network, to discuss how to support their program on packet switch network, with Compression Lab tools. - on the 16 I had a diner at the Bonaventure (LA) with Father Bourret (http://www.kuangchi.com/english/history.htm). On the agenda: packet switching in TW and a Vatican State International Packet Switch Gateway - then I brought international data services experience in meetings with an LA based Bank and for a complete turn-key online banking service to a group NY banks. Multi-currency accounts, ATM connections. I explained our experience with air-line reservation services for most of the major airlines, hotels chains and rent-a-cars, and how it worked at regular Travel Agents using a service you would call a smart OPES today. - met with Mobil Oil international communications manager (NY) and routine meetings with the International Carriers. I was in Washington on the 28th.

We used to refer to ARPANET as the "grand father" :-). Minitel users were probably already 3 millions in France, plus Prestel in UK, plus Germany, etc.. Over these 20 years since these Tymnet times, OSI, then the Internet made us to step from 7+ to 70+ to 700+ millions of active users worldwide.

But you may understand why I feel the architectural evolution is sometimes dismaying and why constraints and rigidity cannot bring innovation and expansion. We need now another technology leap frog towards the 7+ billions users.

Only a multilingual, multinational, multilateral, multitechnology, multiservice continuity architecture can deliver now.
Good luck to everyone for the next decade which will be decisive.

I do hope you will permit it to be in cooperation with the IGF,. That we can proceed fast on a stable, reasonable and acceptable equal opportunity but competitive fair basis. As we all agreed in Tunis.
jfc