Re: Document Action: 'US Secure Hash Algorithms (SHA and HMAC-SHA)' to Informational RFC

2006-02-07 09:07:12
Paul:

Informational documents do not require an IETF Last Call. The sponsoring AD can issue one if they think that community input id needed, but most Informational RFCs do not have an IETF Last Call. I choose to progress this document without an IETF Last Call.

For some stand-alone informational RFCs, not having an IETF-wide last call is probably reasonable. However, a document like this is going to be referenced many times in other RFCs, sometimes as a normative reference. It would be useful to have IETF-wide last calls on all documents that are going to be widely referenced, if for no other reason than to alert the authors of the documents that will reference them that they have an opportunity for open discussion.

It is not clear to me that this will become a normative reference. The FIPS could remain the normative reference, with this as a supporting informational one.

Russ