Re: Last Call: 'Experimental Procedure for Long Term Suspensions from Mailing Lists' to Experimental RFC

2006-02-15 13:35:30
Dear IESG,

I'm glad that you are considering this experiment. We certainly heard from people who expressed discomfort with the current BCP procedures in this area during recent discussions, and I don't know that very many people were thrilled with those procedures (especially after we started noticing gaps in the BCP coverage).

I do have one procedural comment here.

I agree that IESG can conduct experiments of more than 18 months duration under BCP 93, but the specific procedural problem here isn't about an experiment that needs to run for 18 months, it's about an experiment that may not start for several months (because the IESG needs to receive a suspension request in order to start the experiment).

Could I suggest that the IESG (perhaps "also") say "the clock on this experiment doesn't start until we actually receive a suspension request"?

The goal of the "sunset" language was to prevent an experiment from running forever, not to run a clock while nothing is being experimented with.

Thanks,

Spencer, who would be thrilled if this experiment never started because no one needed to be suspended ...

The IESG has received a request from an individual submitter to consider the
following document:

- 'Experimental Procedure for Long Term Suspensions from Mailing Lists '
  <draft-hartman-mailinglist-experiment-01.txt> as an Experimental RFC

NOTE: This is a Last Call under RFC 3933 (BCP 93). If the IESG approves
this document, it will become an experimental IETF process document for
a period of 18 months.

final comments on this action.  Please send any comments to the
iesg(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org or ietf(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org mailing lists by
2006-03-15.

The file can be obtained via
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-hartman-mailinglist-experiment-01.txt