Nomination for the appointment of a Languages Subtags Reviewer

2006-02-19 22:25:08
Dear Scott,
from various mails of yours I understand that:

- you will propose the IESG to consider the nomination of the RFC 3066 Bis IETF Language Subtag Reviewer (under appeal) on March 2nd. - you privately approached the RFC 3066 Langage Tag Reviewer for the job. He disclosed it.
- you would also consider other candidates.

I probably missed the call for nominations. I therefore wish to nominate myself.

I started dealing with networked language issues for the world digital ecosystem in 1980, considering the international support of Videotex diacritics. I was involved in Katakana technical support from 1983. I am interested in computer assisted and networked languages modes, the main issues the IETF should consider. I am involved in multilingualisation (the equal support of every language by technology) for years. I underline that the Language Subtag Reviewer requirements by RFC 3066 Bis are not mainly oriented towards languages and scripts (which must follow the ISO policy). I suppose everyone knows that I am particularly informed of the RFC 3066 Bis related issues.

Disclosure of possible Conflicts of Interest.

1. I am an individual Member of the Unicode consortium.
2. I maintain an experimental inclusive language coding elements registry ("langroot") for cross referencing the various language coding registries and counting around of 35.000 elements. 3. I am one of the authors of the Language Equal Opportunity Introductory Declaration (http://nicso.org/equilang.htm) and I want the Internet to equally support every languages as it does for English and to support every public and private language coding system, as it does for ISO.

Comments.

I shared in the WG-LTRU where I proposed different solutions for the administration of the ietf-languages(_at_)iana(_dot_)org mailing list. Its RFC 3066 Bis Draft says that the Language Subtag Reviewer is to moderate it. Several persons have requested that the reviewer's role be separated from the administrator's duties.

I wish to respect the WG consensus. But if the consensus changed and if the administration role was to be delegated, I consider that the administration of a iana.org list belongs to the IANA. IMHO this would protect the Language Subtag and Extension Registries from the problems we faced with the Language Tag Registry.

My policy would be inclusive, to support interoperability with all the other language code registry. And to timely and actively support all the innovations the WG-LTRU has foreseen to that end. I would obviously pay the utmost attention to the Language Subtag Extension Registry http://www.iana.org/assignments/language-tag-extensions-registry and to the all the interests it may raise.

To illustrate my position, using cases recently discussed, I would start in accepting the current ISO updates and every codes in the ISO 3166 lists. I am interested in territory's internet communities, not in territory adminstrative/political situation. This would start with "EU" code for the European Union, and "Japn" for the group of scripts usually found in Japanese documents.

Jean-François C. Morfin