RE: [Pppext] Re: Last Call: 'Accommodating an MTU/MRU greaterthan1492in PPPoE' to Informational RFC

2006-02-23 08:56:21
I think we have to be mindful of the primary use case here, and be
actually driven by it.

The primary use case is a DSL scenario, where the aggregation network
behind the DSLAM is Ethernet down to an IP edge router (call it BRAS or
BNG, as you want) which processes PPPoE.

All broadband carriers I know of have very clear plans to use Ethernet
aggregation gear and Ethernet interfaces on both DSLAM and BRAS which
are enabled for jumbo-frames. All corresponding equipment vendors I know
do support such feature.

So this isn't a fairly arbitrary topology like could be found in an
enterprise environment or a campus environment. It is a very controlled
environment with strict deployment rules.

Based on that, enabling such verification by default (with the
additional roundtrip implied) is just a completely unnecessary burden,
and when you have to deal with 20K or 40K PPPoE sessions, including
major peaks when a GE link is restored after failure, this is rather
impactful.

This is the rationale for disabling the mechanism by default, while
allowing to enable it whenever one really needs it (e.g. debugging
purposes; or some new use case nobody thought about so far).

This is admittedly a pragmatic, use-case driven, recommendation.

Tx
Jerome