Re: Last Call: 'Definitions of Managed Objects for Remote Ping, Traceroute, and Lookup Operations' to Proposed Standard

2006-02-25 10:23:36
On Sat, Feb 25, 2006 at 12:18:26PM +0100, Tom.Petch wrote:
I find the following unclear and would like to see it spelt out in detail

"traceRouteHopsHopIndex
<snip>
           MUST start at 1 and increase monotonically."

Recent discussions on the ietf main list identified two meanings for
'monotonically' - a sequence where each value is greater than or equal to its
predecessor, or a sequence where each value is strictly greater than its
predecessor - and I am unsure whether this means either or neither.

Since this object is part of an INDEX, the meaning of the words is
unambiguous and I suggest no change needed.

/js

--
Juergen Schoenwaelder               International University Bremen
<http://www.eecs.iu-bremen.de/>     P.O. Box 750 561, 28725 Bremen, Germany