Re: Off-Topic: Beware of OrangeWire 802.11a driver for the Macintosh

2006-03-06 16:53:03
Hi folks,
I can confirm that the D-Link DWL-AG660 doesn't work with the Orangeware driver, and that their e-mail support is quaint. They asked me to remove and re- install the driver. Unsurprisingly, this doesn't make an iota of difference, and it still doesn't detect the card.

I don't assume that Orangeware are complete liars, so I wonder if the issue is with EU as opposed to US versions of cards. There might be some voodoo for Hyperlan co-existence in the EU variants of 802.11A cards, and this may confuse the drivers (and explain the different vendor/model IDs). I wonder if a solution would be to buy a card in the US, as these don't have the Francey signal strength modulation, and may have actually been
tested by the software vendor.

Any other experiences welcome, as I've just been told that the ship date for my MacBookPro
has now slipped to the end of March - thank you Apple.

all the best and good luck,
  Lawrence