Re: RFC Editor and 2006 timeline

2006-03-18 06:13:54
Hi Leslie, and thanks for working on this. I also believe that this
process is important and beneficial for everyone who either
uses or produces (IETF, IAB, IRTF, individuals) RFCs.

Overall, the timeline looks fine. I have a few comments and questions
on it, however:

      . developing analogous components for independent
        submissions, IRTF documents, etc.  (Not all yet on
        the timeline).

Do we know exactly what the missing components are? And
for those components, what is the delta that is really needed
beyond techspec, charter, and existing RFCs? For instance,
the techspec draft talks about indexing and search services
which would presumably apply to all RFCs, including individual
submissions and April 1 RFCs. And we already have some
material on individual RFC submission in RFC 2026 and RFC
3932.

We also have some work-in-progress, such as draft-irtf-rfcs-00.txt
that may help for the IRTF document parts.

May 15 2006
      Close of last call of TechSpec document

Close of last call isn't necessarily the same as having a
final document ready. Should the latter also be placed
in the timeline?

--Jari