Re: Sponsors and influence (Re: Making IETF happening in differentregions)

2006-03-24 10:08:42
Hallam-Baker, Phillip wrote:

The current funding model makes the IETF disproportionately reliant on one
single company that currently employs far more ADs and working group chairs
than any other. It also has a habit of recruiting through the IETF. If that
company were to have an unexpected earnings shortfall the effect on the IETF
could be very significant. Given that it is a growth company and given that
setbacks are inevitable over the course of five or ten years there should be
a real concern here.
I think you're talking about cisco, and I think the contribution is between 10 and 15% of total IETF effort, depending on which metric you use.

If you were thinking of someone else, my apologies - I've observed that in a lot of cases, people make oblique references that not all participants in the IETF will catch; I believe that naming them unambiguously helps clear communications (while not naming them when we're discussing principles helps keep the discussion from being excessively partisan - so it requires a bit of judgment.)

                      Harald (who works for Google)