RE: Stupid NAT tricks and how to stop them.

2006-03-27 11:01:48
Hallam-Baker, Phillip wrote:
The obvious way to deploy IPv6 is to leverage
the NAT infrastructure.

Indeed.

Evangelize to the major providers of NAT (Cisco,
Netgear, Microsoft, Belkin...)

I will point out that we have had the beginning of a solution for ages
with 6to4. Unfortunately, telling NAT providers that they suck is not
the best way to have them incorporate a new protocol in their products,
especially when there is no consumer demand.

..the systems design MUST meet the real needs of actual customers.
The problem with large amounts of IETF design is that abstract
engineering fetish is put ahead of meeting real users needs.

Unfortunately some protocol purity zealots still have to realize that
Linksys, Netgear, Belkin and consorts don't sell NAT boxes because they
think NAT is good, they sell NAT boxes because consumers want to buy
them.

Michel.