RE: Last Call: draft-ietf-pana-framework-06

2006-04-06 16:28:28
The official way to do this is to submit an "interpretation request" to
the IEEE.  The instructions can be found here:
http://standards.ieee.org/reading/ieee/interp/.  The request will then
be referred to the appropriate working group for response and approval.
The earliest that this could be completed by 802.11 is during their
meeting during the week of May 14-18.

This would result in an official response from the 802.11 working group
and the IEEE.  Generally, the response will include referral to the next
maintenance task group for inclusion in a corrigendum or the next
revision of the standard.

 -Bob

-----Original Message-----
From: Alper Yegin [mailto:alper(_dot_)yegin(_at_)yegin(_dot_)org]
Sent: Thursday, April 06, 2006 4:22 PM
To: Bob O'Hara (boohara); 'Yoshihiro Ohba'; 'Sam Hartman'
Cc: ietf(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org
Subject: RE: Last Call: draft-ietf-pana-framework-06

Hi Bob,

I think the issue at hand is not the interpretation of text, but the
conflicting text in the 802.11i standard. David Nelson has already shed
some
light to this.

Text in Clause 5 opens the door for non-802.1X protocols to utilize the
uncontrolled port, and we didn't find any limitations on what those
protocols may be -- hence concluded that PANA could be one of those.
This is
where PANA WG came from. I'd not say this is an "interpretation", but
rather
spec-reading.

How are we (in fact, IEEE) going to resolve this?

Alper