Re: Guidance needed on well known ports

2006-04-06 16:52:03

On Friday, March 24, 2006 08:23:20 AM -0500 "Steven M. Bellovin" <smb(_at_)cs(_dot_)columbia(_dot_)edu> wrote:

On Thu, 23 Mar 2006 20:56:51 -0800, Joe Touch <touch(_at_)isi(_dot_)edu> wrote:

Since it seems like this might be useful, I'll pull a draft together on
how to do this without 1078's extra connection, more like the
late-binding we do in datarouter, very shortly...

1078 doesn't use an extra connection; it hands off the open connection
to the protocol handler.

Your suggestion of using a TCP option instead is friendlier to
firewalls, though.

And it uses fewer round trips.  I like this idea.

does require a mod to TCP to allow the dest port to be unbound (e.g.,
'0') if the option is present, and enable the return SYN-ACK to update
the TCB on arrival.

This part, though, seems like it could be perilous.  Why not start with
a non-zero port and hand off the connection, a la tcpmux?

-- Jeff