Re: RFC Editor and 2006 timeline

2006-04-13 12:29:39
Leslie, IAB, and others,

Three observations on the schedule (included below for
convenience), based on the events of the last month...

(1) The initial "STRAW PROPOSAL" draft of the new RFC Editor
charter, in your email of 16 March, says, in part,...

The purpose of this straw proposal is to inform discussions
scheduled for the GENAREA meeting at IETF65 in Dallas.
After the Dallas meeting, the IAB will provide a more formal
charter proposal.

I, and I assume others, had assumed that this meant that, after
the Dallas discussion, the IAB would post an Internet-Draft with
the expected "more formal" text so as to permit community
comment  before the presumably-final version was posted, not
later than Saturday.  I do not believe that has occurred, so
what is the plan for posting of a Revised Charter for comment?

(2) As your 16 March posting noted, moving forward with an
actual RFP process -- presumably starting with whatever
requirements are stated in the request for expressions of
interest to be issued on May 7 -- requires that there be
documents analogous to the TechSpec one for non-IETF documents.
With the assistance of a few colleagues, I have put together and
submitted draft-klensin-rfc-independent-00.txt, which is a first
cut at the independent submission model.  I assume it will be
posted today but, of course, there has not yet been any
opportunity for community discussion on it.  How would you like
to proceed on that front?

(3) While I didn't realize it last month, there are at least a
few tasks traditionally associated with the RFC Editor function
that do not seem to be covered by the outline and schedule below
at all.  For example, we still have 50-odd older RFCs that are
not online.  As far as I know, few, if any, of the IENs are
online and readily accessible either.  I don't know that getting
these online is necessarily an appropriate RFC Editor (or
RFC-Editor-bis) activity, although it has been considered to
fall within that scope in the past.  But those documents are
important enough historically --occasionally even to the work of
the IETF-- that they should all be online and accessible... and
making that happen should be someone's responsibility.    There
may be other areas like this; we should somehow be sure that
they are all covered somehow.

Because of things like this, I'm sort of hoping that the IASA
will decide to issue an RFI, not merely a call for expressions
of interest, so as to get as much information on these subjects
and understanding of roles from potential vendors as possible.

regards,
    john

--On Thursday, 16 March, 2006 18:04 -0500 Leslie Daigle