RE: Last Call: 'A Process Experiment in Normative Reference Handl ing' to Experimental RFC (draft-klensin-norm-ref)

2006-06-01 08:48:21
John,

        In your "choices" below, choice i and ii are not quite
separable.  In the "do nothing" mode i, eventual advancement
required to de-queue the "would-be Draft Standard" will only
happen if choice ii is in effect.  In other words, choice ii
is effectively the same as choice i except that the duration
of the "do nothing" phase is shorter (by an arbitrary amount).

--
Eric Gray

--- [SNIP] ---

--> (From Eric Rosen)
-->
--> > Frankly,  I  think  this   wavier  procedure  is  outrageous,
--> > and  entirely unacceptable.  The fact  The fact that the
--> > referenced  document has not gone through some bureaucratic
--> > process does not  mean that it is any less stable, or that any
--> > more caution is  required in its use.  Inserting this
--> > derogatory language about technology which may  be well-proven
--> > and widely deployed will be extremely misleading to the
--> > industry.
-->
--> (your response)
-->
--> If a WG agrees with you about a particular piece of technology,
--> they have three choices:
-->
-->     (i) Do nothing, in which case their would-be Draft
-->     Standard will sit in queue until that well-proven and
-->     widely -deployed technology is, itself, advanced to
-->     Draft Standard (or to not try to advance their Proposed
-->     Standard to Draft Standard at all).
-->
-->     (ii) Pick up the obviously well-documented definition of
-->     the well-proven and widely deployed technology and
-->     advance it to Draft Standard.
-->
-->     (iii) Invoke the RFC 3967 procedure for downrefs, which
-->     is more burdensome in terms of processing than the new
-->     proposal, but does not involve disclaimers.  You can
-->     think of the RFC 3967 procedure as requiring a community
-->     determination that the referenced technology is stable
-->     enough to be referenced in a document of a given
-->     maturity level.
-->
--> So the proposed new rule adds one option to the three that are
--> there already.  It is up to the WG (or individual submitter)
--> which one to use.   This one is intended to be much more
--> lightweight and quick than any of the existing options, but no
--> one is forcing its use.  And I assume that, if it is found too
--> unpleasant or derogatory, then no one will use it and it will
--> disappear after a year.  Personally, that wouldn't bother me one
--> bit -- you will recall that I have proposed and/or backed much
--> more radical and extensive solutions to this type of problem --
--> but that is a rather different discussion.
-->
--> > I  think that  any rule  which requires  us to  insert false
--> > and misleading statements in the documents should be strongly
--> > opposed.
-->
--> But there is no requirement that this procedure be used at all.
--> If I writing a document that needed to reference a specification
--> that was as well-defined, mature, and stable as you posit, I'd
--> first try to get that specification advanced to the right
--> maturity level or, if there was some bar to doing so, I'd invoke
--> the RFC 3697 procedure.  Or I might try to build consensus for
--> some serious discussion and action on
--> draft-ietf-newtrk-promotion-00.txt, which essentially proposes
--> fast-tracking the advancement of such specifications on the
--> basis of their marketplace acceptance (and which is showing
--> signs of vanishing without a trace).
-->
--> > Even worse:
--> >
--> >      "The IESG may, at its discretion, specify the exact text
--> > to be used"
--> >
--> > Great, not only is the WG  required to denigrate its own
--> > technology, but the IESG is given free rein to insert whatever
--> > derogatory remarks they feel like putting in.
-->
--> First, this seemed appropriate for an experiment of the type
--> specified.  In addition, like it or not, current procedures, as
--> practiced, essentially give the IESG free rein to insert
--> whatever remarks (derogatory or otherwise) they feel like
--> inserting in anything.  They are prevented from doing so by some
--> combination of good sense and the presence of the appeals
--> procedure, which is exactly what the paragraph you complain
--> about below says...
--> >
--> > Of course, we'll be told not to worry, since:
--> >
--> >       "If members of the community consider either the
--> > downward reference or the annotation text  to be
--> > inappropriate, those issues  can be raised at any time
--> > in the document life cycle, just as  with any other text
--> > in the document."
--> >
--> > Great.  Another useless thing to argue  about in the WG, and
--> > another useless thing to argue about with the IESG.
-->
--> But the assertion you are making about a (e.g.) Proposed
--> Standard specification being stable, mature, well-defined,
--> widely-deployed, etc., is one that presumably should get some
--> community review, rather than simply being accepted as the
--> result of the divine rights of the author/editor.  And that
--> brings us back to the three existing choices above, which the WG
--> presumably needs to argue about today.   The WG's only choice
--> without such an argument is to not try to advance any document
--> that would require a downref... and that is an opportunity to
--> argue as well.
-->
--> > There  are  also   other  reasons  why  I  find   this
--> > proposed  experiment disheartening.
--> >
--> > For  one  thing, it  really  misses  the point.   We  need  to
--> > simplify  our processes, not make them more  complicated.
--> > Either we need the downref rule or we  don't.  If we want  to
--> > experiment, let's  experiment with eliminating the rule
--> > entirely, not with fine tuning it.
-->
--> I don't know how to do that and still get back if there is a
--> conclusion that it wasn't a good idea.  And, remember, I have
--> proposed more radical solutions to the underlying problem here.
--> It is evident at this point that they lack adequate traction
--> (people who care) and consensus, so adding a lightweight option
--> within the current framework seemed to be an idea worth
--> exploring.
-->
--> > The  real underlying  problem of  course  is the  the
--> > multi-stage  standards process is just a relic from another
--> > time, and makes no sense at all in the current environment.
--> > Experiments in fine tuning the process are nothing but a
--> > distraction.
-->
--> Well, we disagree about that.  Perhaps more important, there is
--> little evidence of community consensus for that position
--> although it certainly has several loud advocates.  I suppose one
--> can rationally oppose any proposal to make the current system
--> work better on the grounds that it should be made to work worse
--> in order to gain more traction for getting rid of maturity
--> levels.  Maybe, from that point of view, you should support this
--> on your theory that it will create more arguments and bog things
--> down further.  On the other hand...
-->
-->        john
-->