Re: RFC Author Count and IPR

2006-06-05 09:16:36

Russ Housley wrote:
Sam:

If the people with copyright interest are the combination of the authors plus the contributors, then we need to specify this in a BCP.

Does the RFC Editor have to contact the members of both lists during Auth48? If so, I would suggest that the RFf Editor only needs a positive reply from the authors, but that the contributors only need to respond if they discover a change that is needed.

In looking over the various sub-threads on this topic, it is feeling an awful lot like the discussion is trying to attend to legal issues, without benefit of legal counsel. (I know that a number of the participants in the thread have been dealing with this topic, for a long time, including contact with legal counsel. My point is that the current discussion either ought to include direct contribution by an intellectual property attorney or we should largely drop the issue.)

Wouldn't it make more sense for the rules concerning author list to be dictated by the combination of the needs to state primary resonsibility, ie, those writing the docs, and logistics/processing needs of those publishing it?

d/