Re: Best practice for data encoding?

2006-06-06 10:10:39
On Tue, 6 Jun 2006 09:50:22 -0700, "Hallam-Baker, Phillip"
<pbaker(_at_)verisign(_dot_)com> wrote:

Having had Tony Hoare as my college tutor at Oxford I have experienced a
particularly uncompromising approach to complexity. However the point
Hoare makes repeatedly is as simple as possible but no simpler.

Hoare has been a great influence on my thinking, too.  I particularly
recall his Turing Award lecture, where he noted:

        There are two ways of constructing a software design: One way is
        to make it so simple that there are obviously no deficiencies, and
        the other way is to make it so complicated that there are no
        obvious deficiencies. The first method is far more difficult.

(In that same lecture, he warned of security issues from not checking
array bounds at run-time, but that's a separate rant.)