Re: Best practice for data encoding?

2006-06-13 09:15:35
On Tue, Jun 13, 2006 at 09:23:42AM +0200, Harald Alvestrand wrote:
Ted Faber wrote:
Multiplying or dividing is the worst thing you can do on a CPU in
general.

Note that CPUs are different; some multiply faster than others, compared
to the rest of the HW.

I am not a CPU designer, but my understanding is that the multiply
instructions are usually the ones that are most complex single
instructions, and in some sense determine the processor speed.  (All you
VAX guys can sit down; I know about your polynomial evaluation
instructions, I'm just speaking generally).

Trying to extrapolate great truths about data encoding from 10 lines of
C will not be fruitful.

Yeah, this is mostly off topic for networking, but as Joe Touch
demonstrated, sometimes it matters:

http://www.isi.edu/touch/pubs/sigcomm95.html

--
Ted Faber