RE: Image attachments to ASCII RFCs (was: Re: Last Call: 'Propose dExperiment: Normative Format in Addition to ASCII Text' toExperimental RFC (draft-ash-alt-formats))

2006-06-21 00:15:21
Yaakov,

The very next paragraph that follows the one that you are quoting from
RFC 3935 talks about the cardinal principles that the IETF is
undertaking in order to fulfill its mission. The first principle in the
list is Open Process. My interpretation is that while creating tools for
tools seek is not part of the mission, sometimes there is a need to do
it in order to allow the IETF to stand by its principles and operate in
an efficient manner.

Dan

-----Original Message-----
From: Yaakov Stein [mailto:yaakov_s(_at_)rad(_dot_)com]

When are we going to get back to work relevant to the IETF?

RFC 3935 is effectively a charter for the IETF as a whole.
It states

   The mission of the IETF is to produce high quality, relevant
   technical and engineering documents that influence the way people
   design, use, and manage the Internet in such a way as to make the
   Internet work better.  These documents include protocol standards,
   best current practices, and informational documents of
various kinds.

I believe that some people are mis-interpreting this statement.

I propose adding as explicit non-goals
 * the developing of new document creation tools
 * the developing of new version tracking tools
 * the development of new document archival processes

Y(J)S