application identification bar bof

2006-06-26 13:47:02

Folks-

Recently I have noticed *a bunch* of work in the measurement
community on identifying the application that generated some flow by
watching the torrent of traffic.  These techniques go beyond
port-based identification to look for traffic that - for whatever
reason - uses non-standard ports.  There are numerous applications
of such techniques, from setting policy to looking for malicious
intruders.  I have pitched the idea of an IRTF IMRG workshop on this
topic to a few people and they generally seem receptive.  I would
like to hold a bar BOF on Wed night of IETF week (Jul/12) at 2230 to
chat with folks who are interested in some unstructured kibitzing on
the topic.

(The time is sort of the best I can do ... I hate the current IETF
schedule.  If you want to chat with me about this at another time,
just drop me a note and we can likely find a few minutes.)

allman
(IMRG chair)