Re: The Accountable Web RE: not listening

2006-07-12 23:46:21
It would be good if we had a clear, non-technical statement showing how the IETF is working on technologies which, in the long run, can help with tracing and apprehending the bad guys while preserving privacy.

As far as I can tell, the threats to individuals that result from traceable network transactions are at least as great as the threats that result from anonymity. We need to be thinking in terms of balancing the risk from those two kinds of threats. This is hard because the relationship between the two kinds of threat varies from one place to another and from one time to another.

So while we can make a non-technical statement that protecting kids and privacy are both good things, as engineers we should realize that things aren't nearly so simple.

Keith