RE: Minutes and jabber logs

2006-07-24 10:22:26
List of attendees?  Surely that is actually independent of the minutes...

--> -----Original Message-----
--> From: Brian E Carpenter [mailto:brc(_at_)zurich(_dot_)ibm(_dot_)com]
--> Sent: Tuesday, July 18, 2006 6:14 AM
--> To: David Harrington
--> Cc: ietf(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org
--> Subject: Re: Minutes and jabber logs
-->
--> Just a reminder of what our process rules (RFC 2418) say:
-->
-->     All working group sessions (including those held
--> outside of the IETF
-->     meetings) shall be reported by making minutes available.  These
-->     minutes should include the agenda for the session, an
--> account of the
-->     discussion including any decisions made, and a list of
--> attendees. The
-->     Working Group Chair is responsible for insuring that
--> session minutes
-->     are written and distributed, though the actual task may
--> be performed
-->     by someone designated by the Working Group Chair. The
--> minutes shall
-->     be submitted in printable ASCII text ...
-->
--> We don't insist on the list of attendees when that is in
--> the blue sheets,
--> but it's clear that the minutes have to be readable ("an
--> account of the
--> discussion including any decisions made") and that is not usually
--> the state of a raw jabber log. It's important, since the
--> decisions taken
--> in a meeting have to be confirmed on the list - if the minutes are
--> properly written, it's enough to ask for agreement on the minutes.
-->
--> A carefully edited jabber log can of course be just fine.
-->
--> (All of this applies equally to meetings at IETF sites,
--> interim meetings,
--> WG conference calls, and WG jabber conferences - readable
--> minutes must be
--> agreed on the list.)
-->
-->      Brian
-->
-->
--> David Harrington wrote:
--> > Hi,
--> >
--> > I would not like to see raw jabber logs included as part of the
--> > minutes. The signal-to-noise ratio is way too low in many
--> meetings.
--> >
--> > Jabber logs written by a scribe do not do a good job
--> representing the
--> > body language and the nuances of speech that may be important to
--> > really understand what a person said. I would also be
--> concerned that
--> > there are side-discussions in jabber that are not relayed
--> to the whole
--> > room; including those side conversations as a reflection
--> of what was
--> > said in the meeting is simply misleading.
--> >
--> > It is the chair's job to provide a summary of the meeting for the
--> > mailing list to see what was discussed and "decided". I
--> do not think
--> > the chair should be allowed to evade this responsibility by simply
--> > posting a quick summary and the raw jabber logs to the
--> mailing list as
--> > the official minutes.
--> >
--> > David Harrington
--> > dharrington(_at_)huawei(_dot_)com
--> > dbharrington(_at_)comcast(_dot_)net
--> > ietfdbh(_at_)comcast(_dot_)net
--> >
--> >
--> >