Re: Flaw in the NOTEWell System makes NOTEWELL NOTWELL

2006-07-25 17:03:07
todd glassey wrote:
----- Original Message -----
From: "Jeffrey Hutzelman" <jhutz(_at_)cmu(_dot_)edu>
To: "todd glassey" <tglassey(_at_)earthlink(_dot_)net>;
<ietf(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org>
Cc: "Jeffrey Hutzelman" <jhutz(_at_)cmu(_dot_)edu>
Sent: Tuesday, July 25, 2006 4:32 PM
Subject: Re: Flaw in the NOTEWell System makes NOTEWELL NOTWELL

On Tuesday, July 25, 2006 03:44:21 PM -0700 todd glassey
<tglassey(_at_)earthlink(_dot_)net> wrote:

Hi there Audit Fans - Lets look at NoteWell and figure out how it
interacts with Corporate Governance and Compliance Policies...
First of all, you keep using the word "NOTEWELL" as if it is the name of
something.  Perhaps a policy, or a system, or a process, or a body of
documents, or ... I don't know.  But the IETF has no process or body of
material which it calls "NOTEWELL" or "NoteWell" or anything like that.

Hmmm - I wonder what CMU's lawyers would say about that Jeffrey?

Universities provide e-mail services to their students, staff, faculty,
alumni, and frequently guests.   I have accounts with dozens of schools.
None of these schools make a claim on the IP sent in e-mail via their
servers.   In fact, many universities have strict privacy policies that
state that e-mail belongs to the users and not to the University.  The
universities I have worked for have frequently fought actions to obtain
access to the contents of individual's e-mails unless sought under an
appropriate warrant.

Universities much like ISPs such as Yahoo, Google, AOL, etc. provide
e-mail as a service to their users in order to obtain secondary benefit.
In the case of universities those secondary benefits are things such as
making their campus more attractive for students, faculty, and staff to
join the university community and in the case of alumni to provide a
stronger bond to the university in order to increase alumni
contributions during fund raising efforts.

Jeffrey Altman
(not affiliated with Columbia University)