Re: Meetings in other regions

2006-08-17 17:53:45
At 6:46 AM -0700 7/17/06, Andy Bierman wrote:

 Marshall Eubanks wrote:

 Nobody flies from LAX to San Diego because it ends up taking
 twice as long as driving for 10 times as much, so don't expect
 lots of flights from LA.

I fly between LAX and San Diego fairly often. There are two airlines that offer flights at least every hour throughout the day. During some periods the flights are every half hour. You can generally connect in LAX without going through security again (unless arriving into LAX on an international flight).

It doesn't really work to apply typical logic to airline fares. That is, you can't predict a fare based on distance or number of connections. While it can be expensive to purchase a separate ticket between SAN and LAX, this is rarely done. Usually a the fare is from point A to SAN and back. In some cases it is slightly more than from point A to LAX and back, but often it is less. Sometimes it is a lot less. I'd be willing to believe that there are cases where it is a lot more, but I haven't personally seen them.

I'm a great believer in the train between SAN and LA, by the way. I've taken it a number of times and always prefer it to driving. Note that for a slight extra charge you can get an upgrade to 'custom class' where you get a larger seat, a power outlet, and something called a snack. There are terrific views of the pacific ocean and beaches during the latter half of the trip, and for much of it the train is right on the sand.

The immigration checkpoint seems to be dormant for a year or so now. The electronic pass lanes have been turned off, the signs warning you to be prepared to stop have been removed, the officers standing in the lanes inspecting cars are gone. The main structure is still there, and there are still border patrol cars at the sides, but that's it.
--
Randall Gellens