Re: Last Call: 'Key Change Strategies for TCP-MD5' to Informational RFC (draft-bellovin-keyroll2385)

2006-10-03 03:42:12
On 3-okt-2006, at 0:20, Fred Baker wrote:

This is also a good way forward, and it has the advantage that it's more general than my suggestion which requires changes to the client protocol.

I would suggest that a key in the list actually has two timestamps (virtual or actual) associated with it - a point in time where the sender should start using it, and a point in time at which the key should be deleted from the list (eg neither send nor accept).

I don't quite see what happens when the new key isn't present on both systems and timestamps start to expire, but that should be solvable in one way or another.

Suggestion: don't start sending ALL traffic with all keys, just throw in a copy of a packet signed with the new key once in a while and keep using just the old key for most traffic until a packet with the new key is received from the other side.