RE: Proceeding CDs

2006-10-06 11:59:42
New production of CDs for music will probably end in 10 or so years, but not much earlier - I don't know that the discussion to end them is even taking place yet - you have to have a replacement technology well penetrated in the market before you stop the old stuff.

But the successor to CDs (DVD, HD-DVD) drives will still be able to read CDs. And an ISO is just a set of bits - I don't expect the drivers that allow us to read such a set of bits to go away soon. Given the choice between ZIP and ISO, I'd choose iso because I can either burn it or mount it. As for the memory stick, its just a storage device, not a storage format. Its oranges to the apples discussion of zip vs ISO vs PDF vs etc...