Re: legal issue of RFC3619

2006-10-19 00:56:37
Note that RFC 3619 is a document published for the information of the Internet community, via the RFC Editor, and not as part of the IETF standards process; I don't believe that the IETF makes any requirement on patent disclosure on such documents.

That said, it is nice that Extreme has disclosed the existence of its IPR appliction, and it would be nice if the others would do so too. More information that is useful for the Internet community.

                        Harald

Bill Su wrote:
Hi,

We are implementing an Ethernet protection ring. Then we found there is an information RFC3619. It is submitted by Extreme network and its IPR is protected by the company too. We also found there are some patents filed by Extreme. In addition to EAPS, we also found there is MRP from Foundry, EPSR from Allied Telesyn, ERP from Siemens. They are all like the same. Isn't it legal violation? We tried to contact Extreme before. But there is no concrete response on the licensing process. Any comment is welcome.
Thanks.