Re: Requirements for Open Positions

2006-10-19 14:54:12
Andrew,

Let me suggest, and suggest to the Nomcom, that these
"requirements" are the opinions of the incumbents of what it
takes to do the jobs as they see them.   That is important
input, but I question whether it should be controlling for
either applicants or Nomcom decisions.  In particular, while,
e.g., the introduction to the "IESG Requirements" document seems
to strike about the right balance, it suggests that the role
requires "between 25 and 40 hours per week" and the IETF Chair
one indicates that the job is full-time.  I don't know whether
there is community consensus for this view, but I believe that
potential candidates who (i) clearly understand what is involved
in the relevant role but (ii) who have plausible ideas about how
the tasks could be rearranged so as to reduce the workload
should be taken very seriously rather than dismissed because
they cannot make the commitment to meet these "requirements".

Just my opinion.
thanks,
   john

--On Thursday, 19 October, 2006 15:54 -0400 Andrew Lange