RE: Facts, please, not handwaving [Re: Its about mandate RE: Why cant the IETF embrace an open Election Process]

2006-10-22 13:47:07
In regards to: '3 standards a year' remark?
Please see 'these remarks' on;
'San Francisco Digital Inclusion Strategy'
http://leftinsf.com/blog/index/php/archives/1174
And my remark is why not a 'standard'...for Three Years? (PROTO-TYPE)

From: Brian E Carpenter <brc(_at_)zurich(_dot_)ibm(_dot_)com>
To: "Hallam-Baker, Phillip" <pbaker(_at_)verisign(_dot_)com>
CC: ietf(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org
Subject: Facts, please, not handwaving [Re: Its about mandate RE: Why cant the IETF embrace an open Election Process]
Date: Mon, 18 Sep 2006 09:09:22 +0200

Phill,

As a result the IETF is a standards body with 2000 active participants that produces on average less than 3 standards a year
and typically takes ten years to produce even a specification.

It is well understood that the Internet mainly runs on Proposed Standards,
so the appropriate metric is how many Proposed Standards the IETF produces
a year. I think you will find that is more than three.

We are certainly slower than we should be, but I think you will find that
the typical time from a 00 draft to a Proposed Standard is significantly
less than ten years.

Let's see - HTTP/1.1 was published as Proposed Standard in January 1997,
and draft-ietf-http-v11-spec-00.txt was posted in November 1995.

   Brian