Re: [arch-d] Last Call comments on draft-laganier-ipv6-khi-05 ORCHID

2006-11-24 04:58:45
Pekka, Jarno,

Thank you Jarno for the comments. A few observations:

1) You are right Jarno that the document is inconsistent
with its claim of RFC 3513 compliance. The document
needs to change in some manner to resolve this.

2) Nevertheless, as we discussed this draft in the IESG,
it was felt that while there are issues in the choice
of the location of the prefix in the address space,
it is more important to first look at the higher level
issue that Ted Hardie raised. For discussion, see these
e-mails:

http://www1.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/ietf/current/msg44187.html
http://www1.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/ietf/current/msg44183.html

and please state your opinion! If we can't agree that
this type of use of addresses is a good idea to begin
with, arguing about the details make little difference.

My personal opinion is that the benefits from
this type of an allocation far outweigh the
risks of referral leakage etc (and the
type of leakage is already occurring from
RFC 1918 address space).

3) Does the move to a different starting bits
remove the above concern? Personally, I
don't think it makes a lot of difference.
Applications do not look at the bits. It
is definately easier from a debugging
point of view, however.

4) When I looked at the issue of prefix size I did not
find any evidence that you would actually need
more bits than the 100-or-so that the current
draft states. But I'm not an expert in key
lengths. Perhaps you have some specific arguments
that we could look at? But lets still stay focused
on the idea that this is an experiment and
targeted for IP layer operations. This isn't
your banking records archival system. And
I don't think its a good idea to keep the same
IP layer identifiers for decades; the required
safety margins need to be designed accordingly.

And its a temporary experiment. I do not
think we should allocate more address space
for this than is really necessary. And yes,
it is a good idea to not to set a precedent that
we can allocate more address space than
needed.

But if there's an argument that we actually
DO need more bits, this can certainly be
considered.

5) The suggested localized, DNS-based lookup
scheme: none of this has ever been in the
draft. I think we should experiment with ideas
like the one that you have Jarno. And there
are many ways to do it.

But isn't the right approach for you to write
a draft about it? I understand that there are
many needs beyond the one that the khi
draft is addressing. But it is not clear to me
that we should hold up HIP experiments
until we've decided how to do identifier
lookups. And there are many ways to do
it.

I would also recommend experimenting
and testing these techniques before
we standardize them. Experimental
allocations, experimental protocols in
this space would be very welcome. Once
we have some evidence that they
actually work and are useful, we
can start discussing moving them to
real use and standards track.

--Jari

Pekka Nikander kirjoitti:
Jarno,

Thanks for your valuable comments. While I largely agree with you, I'm
afraid that what you ask below, and what we originally asked for in
the first versions of the ORCHID draft, are just too much for the
wider IETF community to swallow at this point of time. In other words,
the original version of the ORCHID draft asked for more than the
current one; not exactly in the way you did in your message, but
still. The current draft represents a consensus that was achieved at
the Internet Area mailing list. A watered down consensus if you will,
but, hey, this is the IETF. :-)

A few details:
- 1st of all, the ORCHID proposal is contradicting itself. It calls
for conformity with RFC 3513 section 2.5.4, but breaks this:

"All global unicast addresses other than those that start with binary
000 have a 64-bit interface ID field (i.e., n + m = 64), "

- Therefore it is wrong to ask for allocation under IANA Special
Purpose Address Block (which starts with binary 001).

- ORCHID should ask for something like 0400::/6 (binary 0000 01),
claiming 1/8 of the address space starting with binary 000

We originally asked for 1000::/8 (binary 0001 0000), which falls
within the binary 000. Then there would have been 120 bits of the
hash, instead of the kind-of regional structure that you propose.
Personally, I still think that the 100 bits of hash is problematic. It
won't take that long before it will be vulnerable to brute force
attacks. By Moore's law, 120 bits would give us some 20-30 years more.

But that was deemed unsuitable by some old-time IETFers, including a
former member of the IAB. Basically, if I understood correctly, the
original proposal was felt to overstep the RIR policies. Secondly,
apparently, some people feared that it would open up the floodgates to
the 0000::/3 space, which was considered politically very bad. There
were corridor rumours of fears that if this experiment was given
something, then other SDOs would come and ask for similar pieces of
space for non-addressing purposes. Personally, I don't understand what
would be so bad there. But hey, apparently I don't understand the IETF
power politics in any case; that I have bitterly felt enough of times.

Hence, as I stated above, the current proposal is the compromise we
were able to reach.

Personally, I still think that allocation from 0000::/3 would be
better than what we ask for in the current draft. As you indicated
later, it would to make a distinction between ORCHIDs/Identifiers and
"mere" addresses. However, at least one of the IESG members seems to
think that there is no difference on where the prefix is allocated,
from the apps point of view, and apparently not worth doing due to the
reasons stated above. But I may be misreading people's words. On the
other hand, personally, I think RFC 3513 makes a potential difference.

- Maybe should be asked for limited time experimentation (e.g. 5
years), and all systems could be mandated to cease using these
addresses after the dead line. Unless the status is changed
before expiration?

That is exactly what we asked for originally: a time-limited
experiment, with by-default cease of use. Again, that was removed as a
part of the drafting process.

The hash function will need to be changed to include the prefix
as input.

I think that change was already done as per security review, but my
memory may fail here. Julien took care of that change.

If I recall right, one of the expressed concerns against ORCHID has
been semantical overloading. By using address space starting with
binary 000 this overloading is avoided.

I completely agree with you here, but some other people seem to
bitterly disagree.

--Pekka Nikander

PS. I don't read ietf-discuss. If you want your replies to reach me,
please include my personal address in the CC/To field.