Re: IM and Presence history

2006-11-28 20:08:05
Phillip,

you might want to look at the SIP design, which offers most of the functionality you describe already. The notion of a common address (prefixed to generate a URL by the communication scheme, be it sip: or, more generically, pres: or im:) were part of the design, although there is nothing but local administrative convention that can ensure that this is true. Indeed, there was an expired I-D that described this identity relationship in more detail.

The SIP identity work describes one mechanism to ensure reliable identity assertions, even in the absence of S/MIME.

Henning