RE: Something better than DNS?

2006-11-29 09:50:20

From: Harald Alvestrand [mailto:harald(_at_)alvestrand(_dot_)no]

Emin Gun Sirer wrote:

As an Internet user, I wonder about two things in the long term:
    - why is it so expensive to register a name?
    - what can we do to keep SiteFinderJr from happening?

what do you think of as "expensive"?

I can register a name for a year for the price of 2 beers
(ok, beer in Norway is expensive too...)

There are very few components of setting up something useful
on the Internet that cost less.

I don't want to address the current cost, but I will point out that there are
people who are proposing ideas that would make names cost very much more by
requiring domain name holders to be authenticated.

I don't like this idea despite the obvious advantages for control of Internet
crime should it succeed. Running a serious authentication process with global
scope has significant costs. I don't want to have to pay the cost of an EV SSL
certificate just to own a domain name. Nor I suspect do most domain name owners.

The core DNS is the one component of the Internet that has to be there for an
Internet service to function. You can implement multiple redundancy, get drops
from multiple ISPs etc. but if core DNS is down you are down. People could
argue that maybe VeriSign has built out for one or two 9s more than is
absolutely essential, that the Internet only needs to be Internet grade
reliable not significantly better than carrier grade. That is an interesting
conversation to have, I don't think that there will be many people in the
policy community who are receptive to the argument though.