Questions about far end table defined in RFC2495/3895

2006-12-06 15:31:22
Hello folks,

  I am working a project that we need to implement DS1 MIB. However, there are
some disagreements among fellow engineers regarding the definitions of DS1 far
end table. Hope someone can spare some time and help us out.

  Based on RFC2495/3895, the description for dsx1FarEndCurrentTable is :
  dsx1FarEndCurrentTable OBJECT-TYPE
     SYNTAX  SEQUENCE OF Dsx1FarEndCurrentEntry
     MAX-ACCESS  not-accessible
     STATUS  current
     DESCRIPTION
            "The DS1 Far End Current table contains various
            statistics being collected for the current 15
            minute interval.  The statistics are collected
            from the far end messages on the Facilities Data
            Link.  The definitions are the same as described
            for the near-end information."
     ::= { ds1 10 }

  The major disagreement is that for some fellow engineers, the far end
statistics such as dsx1FarEndCurrentESs is derived only from DS1 FDL. So if DS1
FDL is disabled, there is no far end statistics to be reported at all. Whereas
some engineers think that the far end statistics should be derived from either
FDL or yellow alarm. So even though FDL is disabled, as long as yellow alarm is
present, far end statistics like dsx1FarEndCurrentESs should still be valid and
reported. We also looked into ANSI T1.231.02-2003 as well as GR.820 for
references. What says in ANSI T1.231 and GR.820 is inline with the idea that
far end statistics should be derived from either FDL or yellow alarm. What is
the right interpretation though? Far end statistics should be from FDL only or
it can be derived from either FDL or RAI?

  Your help is greatly appreciated!!!

  James