Re: Review of draft-manral-ipsec-rfc4305-bis-errata-02.txt

2006-12-12 08:45:58
Hi Nicolas,

I agree with a lot of the comments. Some minor doubts are in-lined:
Nicolas Williams wrote:
- A section was added on application-specific ESP/AH algorithm
   implementation requirements.  The text allows application protocols
   to add algorithm implementation requirements or to upgrade MAY/SHOULD
   requirements in RFC4305/RFC4305bis to SHOULD/MUST, but it does not
   allow relaxing MUST implement algorithms.

   Nothing is said as to whether applications can relax SHOULD NOT
   implement requirements.  Specifically DES-CBC is a SHOULD NOT
   implement algorithm.  Perhaps text should be added forbidding the
   relaxation of SHOULD NOT requirements; certainly the issue should be
   clarified.

Its an interesting note and I understand the concern. Would adding text like "Similarly SHOULD-NOT and MUST-NOT cannot be made a MAY either" help?
The security considerations section appears to be unchanged, and by and
large the other changes made in this I-D should not require security
section changes.  However, I find it odd that the body of the RFC and
I-D says that the NULL algorithms MUST NOT be used in AH and ESP at once
but no text explains why (besides there may be security considerations
about using certain ESP algorithms with the NULL AH algorithm).  If this
is explained in some other RFC then a reference to it would be useful;
if not then please add security considerations text explaining the
matter.
I hope I understand what you are pointing to. Though the text has been carried from RFC4305, I feel it is an obvious requirement for the use of IPsec (at least one of the crypto algorithm needs to be enabled). Or are you looking for the rationale of making the NULL Authentication algorithm from a MUST to a MAY? I guess RFC4301 talks about that clearly.
Also, I'm not sure that the use of "MUST-" and "SHOULD+" is actually
useful.  In this update no algorithms previously classified as MUST-
have been downgraded, and no algorithms previously classified as SHOULD+
have been upgraded.  It seems likely to me some AES cipher mode will
eventually become a MUST, but it's not clear to me that AES-CBC, for
example, which is marked SHOULD+, will be it.  Therefore I would argue
that these designations should be changed to MUST and SHOULD,
respectively.  Or perhaps this I-D is a good opportunity to downgrade
TripleDES-CBC to SHOULD or MAY and upgrade either AES-CBC and/or AES-CTR
to MUST?
I agree with Steven here, for CTR mode one of the security consideration is that the same starting point should never be used twice. I am ok, making the CBC as well as CTR mode a SHOULD+. The couple of IPsec implementations I have worked on, we have got the requirement for AES-CBC as well as AES-CTR modes.
 - Appendix B should be integrated into the "Changes from RFC 2402 and
   2406" section (which should now be titled "Changes from RFCs 2402,
   2406 and 4305").
I have this doubt. Should we check the changes from RFC2402 and RFC2406 to the new draft, or should we make the changes in two steps i.e. from RFC2402 and RFC2406 to RFC4305 and then from RFC4305 to the new draft. I thought the latter approach was better?

Thanks,
Vishwas