Re: IETF last call on draft-barany-eap-gee-04.txt

2006-12-29 13:05:06
At 08:20 AM 12/29/2006, Yoshihiro Ohba wrote:
Hi Lakshminath,

On Thu, Dec 28, 2006 at 08:20:35AM -0800, Lakshminath Dondeti wrote:

> On your comment about whether or not a 1 octet field is necessary, my
> opinion is that it is the most optimal design (cannot be any smaller
> :)).  I don't think ethertype will work in a generic sense to
> distinguish multiple parallel EAP conversations (we are not talking
> about multiple "types" of conversations, but instead multiple
> conversations).

The draft clearly talks about multiple types of authentications.

Hmm. I see your point now, but please note that the types were listed as placeholders (Types 1 and 2) and examples (access and service) explaining the need for multiple authentication. If we use ethertypes or something like that I think we have to "fix" the types. As written now (in terms of transaction ID or TID), it is plausible to use GEE for various different types of authentications (if not now, in the future). That kind of extensibility will be gone with what you propose.

Hope that clarifies things.

regards,
Lakshminath

Yoshihiro Ohba