Re: Last Call: draft-ietf-opes-smtp-security (Integrity, privacy and security in OPES for SMTP) to Informational RFC

2007-01-11 17:56:53
On Thu, 11 Jan 2007, Dave Crocker wrote:

As has been clear for some time, the OPES topic is both important and
difficult.  That sort of combination always makes want to look for some
history of exerience with ways to solve the current problem. In the case
of OPES, I do not know of a qualifying history, nor do I see the effort
to build something based on such experience.

The closest history I can think of is the sendmail milter interface, and
the clamav and spamassasin interfaces. All of these are implementation-
specific: the Milter interface is exported as an API, not a protocol, and
the other two are essentially application-internal interfaces. Milters are
closest to what OPES is trying to do, but AFIK not quite as ambitious:
geared for content *filtering* not *adaptation*. So I agree that OPES
doesn't seem to be based on any well-developed experience.

If the current document is intended as a case analysis for a particular
application -- namely email -- to serve as *input* to the design of the OPES
architecture and protocols, then I do not see how the current document
achieves that.

I believe it's intended to fit the existing OPES architecture to SMTP.

Tony.
--
f.a.n.finch  <dot(_at_)dotat(_dot_)at>  http://dotat.at/
FAEROES: WESTERLY BECOMING CYCLONIC 7 TO SEVERE GALE 9, PERHAPS STORM 10