IANA web site

2007-01-17 14:18:44

It has been called to our attention that many people (including W3C!)
are using the obsolete (and undefined) URL:

     ftp://ftp.isi.edu/in-notes/iana/assignments/character-sets

If you go to ftp://ftp.isi.edu/in-notes/iana/assignments/README,
you will find:

   "At one time the RFC Editor and the IANA were one person, Jon Postel,
   so IANA registration information was maintained in this directory.
   The IANA is now a separate organization, and its databases may be
   found at http://www.iana.org.";

(In addition, note that the given URL is just that; the corresponding
URI, which SHOULD be used RFC-related files on the RFC Editor web
site, would be ftp://ftp.rfc-editor.org/in-notes/...)

Is there some way to fix this?  The IETF has committed itself to the
URL/URI system for digital indexing, so how do we make this work?

Bob Braden