Re: submitting an ID

2007-01-23 08:14:07
    > From: Edward Lewis <Ed(_dot_)Lewis(_at_)neustar(_dot_)biz>

    > When I was in school, I was taught to quote multiple paragraphs with
    > quotes at the start of each and a closing quote only at the end of the
    > final paragraph.

Yeah, but geeks like us love to have their syntactic elements balance, so I
suspect most of us prefer the matching quotation marks! :-) (This is probably
mostly because of our work with computer languages, where such rules prevail -
but also because of our natural love of logic and order! :-)

Besides, language isn't static anyway (although the advent of writing, and
especially widespread printing, certainly seems to have slowed down the
evolution), and "rule"-books for language should really be thought of as being
more akin to guide-books.

        Noel