Nit Re: Last Call: draft-wing-behave-symmetric-rtprtcp (Common Local Transmit and Receive Ports (Symmetric RTP)) to BCP

2007-03-02 08:34:29
Hi,
I have a nit on this otherwise highly useful draft as it goes to Last
Call.

I believe the reference to MGCP [RFC3435], sec 1 page 3, should be removed
and replaced by reference to Megaco / H.248 instead (RFC 3525 / 3015).
Correspondingly, the reference to it in section 8.2 should also be
replaced.  The reason for this is MGCP is not actually an IETF-sanctioned
protocol, whereas Megaco/H.248 is.   MGCP was developed outside of IETF
process, and is actually not considered to be "standards-based".  See the
IESG Note on the cover page of RFC3435.

I would certainly hope that IETF & IESG would point to its own standard in
this area (Megaco), rather than a non-sanctioned document.  I believe this
entirely editorial in nature.

Regards,
Peter Blatherwick

The IESG <iesg-secretary(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org>
01.03.07 11:38
Please respond to ietf