Re: Seeking a new IAB Executive Director

2007-03-19 22:54:04
If there is a requirement to be able to read and write English accurately, then let it be specified as such and not by potentially false assumptions as to what childhood background anyone might imagine would influence linguistic performance.

Joe

Speaking only for myself ...

Joe has this exactly right (good job), and the I-star seems to understand this - just as an example, IESG is talking to non-native English speakers about the IESG scribe positions, at this IETF.

People who wonder about this should be looking at IAB meeting minutes - they are not (typically) he said/she said transcripts. See http://www.iab.org/documents/iabmins/iabmins.2007-01-10.html for a recent example. So capturing EKR at line rate, which I can't do either, is NOT the requirement.

IAB had more accessible minutes than IESG for years (IESG minutes were mostly "had no problem with", "remained under discussion"). That's why several people (including me) asked IESG to begin publishing narrative minutes in 2005.

The minutes are the IAB's public face, and are really important - this requirement, for "writing skills", is justified.

Thanks,

Spencer