RFC Editor RFP update

2007-03-20 10:37:42
All

The IAOC believes it is very close to agreement with USC on a two year RFC Editor services contract. Agreement should be reached by the end of the current contract extension date (March 31st). The IAOC has informed the two other bidders and asked them to consider re-bidding when the next RFP process cycles through. Should we fail to reach a signed contract with our current preferred bidder, we will be re-opening the RPF process.

This process has taken longer than expected, mostly due to issues involving IPR and the older RFCs. We continue to believe that agreement with USC is in the best interests of the IETF at this time. In future however, we may find there are advantages to a split of the RFC Editor and RFC Publisher functions. Over the coming months we look forward to participating in an IAB-led discussion of potential new models and in 14-16 months will will RFP(s) for the model as adopted by the community.

For additional information on publication related issues see:

        www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc4714.txt
        www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-iab-publication-00.txt
        www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-iab-rfc-independent-00.txt

The IAOC will keep you informed of the contract negotiations.

Lucy Lynch
IAOC Chair