[Dean Anderson] RE: Withdrawal of Approval and Second Last Call: draft-housley-tls-authz-extns

2007-04-02 13:50:09

Dean cannot post to the ietf list so I have forwarded his comments here.

--- Begin Message ---

Ok, I've now read most of the patent documents and claims, and I've
looked over the draft-housley-tls-authz-extns-07.txt.

Short answer: The RFC and the patent application are very close, if not
identical.  It is not the case that the patent is merely overbroad, and
therefore covers the housley draft; they are the same.  On the draft:
rewrite so as not to infringe the patent application if granted.

The timeline of events is very important:

-- The first patent applicationis filed in January, 2005, with Mark D.
Brown and David J. Wilke as the applicants.

-- The application was apparently amended September, 2005 with
application number 11/234404. This application is not listed in the IPR
disclosure, but can be found on the "Continuity Data" tab of the USPTO
web site (see below). This is somewhat strange, I think, especially as
its the most similar to the housley draft.

-- The first draft of draft-housley-tls-authz-extns was submitted in
February, 2006.  Mark Brown and Russ Housley are the authors.

-- February 2007, IESG approval is withdrawn after Russ Housley becomes
Chair of IETF and IPR information comes out regarding the draft.

Having reviewed the documents, the 'housley' draft and the patent
application contain essentially identical message exchange diagrams.
For example, Figure 6 of the drawings associated with patent application
11/234404 is nearly identical with Figure 2 of
draft-housley-tls-authz-extns-07.txt.

It seems impossible to me that, as Brown describes below, that the
patent claims could merely 'be read more broadly.' This patent is
essentially identical with the IETF draft.  The primary difference is
the housley draft doesn't contain the concrete examples of the patent
application, and is more abstractly written.

I'm not sure what it means to file a patent and subsequently author an
essentially identical draft 'in good faith', since it is unclear what
bad faith would be.  I am still uncertain about when Brown and Housley
each knew about RFC3979, and when did they each know about the existance
of the patent application.  I haven't seen any such dates and evidence
on this by either Housley or by Brown.  I'm a still uncertain as to how
the existance of the patent application became known to the IETF.  I
would like to see definite answers to these questions, rather than
assurances of good faith.

BTW, creating a permanent royalty free license grant to the public is
quite easy.  Other variations are quite hard, until you get down to
licensing individual entities. However, you cannot simulataneously both
grant royalty free use of this patent, and continue to make money using
this patent as a monopoly on the technology; these are mutually
exclusive.

On the subject of how to proceed with the draft:  Having reviewed
documents, my view is that the technology in the patent application is
not novel, but would be obvious to anyone trying perform the services
described, and that therefore the patent application should be denied.
Furthermore, except for possibly overbroad claims, the TLS protocol
extension can be changed so that it doesn't use the patented methods.
My recommendation, informed by the actual documents, is that the draft
should be rejected and rewritten using non-patented alternatives.

FYI: The patent files can be downloaded from the "How to Search" page at
http://www.uspto.gov/main/profiles/acadres.htm
Then click "Track Patent Status"
Then select "Application Number" and enter the application
number 60/646749 or 11/234404 and click on Search.

To get the patent documents, click the tab "Image File Wrapper" and
download the images as a PDF.  There are other tabs which are
interesting.

                --Dean