Re: IAOC Communications Plan: Review Requested

2007-05-02 23:52:04
Frank Ellermann <nobody(_at_)xyzzy(_dot_)claranet(_dot_)de> writes:

Simon Josefsson wrote:

I'm not sure it automatically imply that there are any indexes,
a log of who made what changes when, or a search function, etc.

Some wikis offer a revision history and a search function, e.g.
most openspf.org pages are based on a Wiki, which is a fork of
"Usemod".  That offers a news feed (RSS) for "recent changes".

The IAOC wiki is broken at the moment (at least from my POV),
but the IESG wiki using the same software has similar features,
check out <http://tools.ietf.org/group/iesg/trac/timeline>

Will the IAOC use the same wiki software?  I seems sub-optimal to
require the IAOC to use a particular wiki implementation.  It seems
better to list the requirements one should have on such an
implementation instead.  That gives the IAOC/tools team more freedom to
chose and/or develop its own software.

Setting up a mailing list that receives notification of
every change to the wiki is another idea.

IMO redundant if there's a news feed.  You could watch it
with a "google alert", and let the "alert" post to blogger
readable as pure HTML (i.e. without feed reader or ugly
Javascript approximations of a feed reader).  It's more
straight forward if you simply bookmark "recent changes".

I believe a mailing list archive would give more confidence.  For
example, since mailing list archives are mirrored externally (and even
on people's own local machine in their MUAs), they aren't affected by
power outages on a single web server, or remote alteration of history by
everyone who has access to that particular web server.

/Simon