Re: TLS requirements (Last Call: draft-ietf-atompub-protocol to Proposed Standard)

2007-05-22 12:27:27
Philip Guenther <guenther plus ietfd at sendmail dot com> wrote:

That's a clearer version of what I meant, yes. I certainly didn't mean "must _only_ support specific version X.Y".

It would probably be wise to have some canned words for this be provided by true TLS experts to avoid subtle failure modes. IIRC, a client that supports, say, TLS 1.2 and 1.0 but not 1.1 will not interoperate with a server that supports TLS 1.1 and 1.0. The client presumably violates some requirement, perhaps one for common sense, but I don't see it in a quick scan of the RFCs.

("MUST request a version no smaller than X.Y and MUST support all versions between and including that version and X.Y"?)

I remember MS-DOS software that would run under DOS version 3.3 or 5.0, but not 4.0.

http://users.adelphia.net/~dewell/