Re: IANA registration constraints (was: Re: Withdrawing sponsorship...)

2007-06-13 12:35:36
Bob Braden writes:
I would note that the purveyors of a "non-standard specification that is already deployed and in successful use" must have somehow obtained their own number assignment without the IANA's help, or this situation could not arise. And before that specification was successfully deployed, it may well have been "a wild idea".

There seems to be a logical disconnect here. What am I missing?

Cases like managesieve. Managesieve is almost a decade old and in real use at many sites. Tens of thousands? Even more? No idea.

The port it uses was allocated to another purpose about four years after managesieve was deployed.

Arnt