Re: Questions on my role as the 2007-8 nomcom chair and the various discussions on the IETF list

2007-06-14 11:55:32
At 12:29 AM -0700 6/13/07, Lakshminath Dondeti wrote:
Folks,

One person has voiced concerns on my "taking a strong public position" in the "Should I* opinions be afforded a special status?" thread while serving as the chair of the 2007-8 nomcom. Perhaps there are others with similar concerns.

The role of the nomcom chair is clearly described in 3777 and I intend to conform to that RFC. Beyond my assigned duties, I am an ordinary contributor at the IETF and my opinions count no more than other contributors' opinions. For those who don't want to rely on my assurance, RFC 3777 comes to their rescue and mine. The adviser and the at least three liaisons are expected to ensure that the chair in particular executes the assigned duties in the best interests of the IETF community.

If you have further questions, please do not hesitate to contact me.

I think there is nothing wrong with your dual roles as individual participant in IETf discussions and as NOMCOM chair, especially since the chair is a non-voting member of the NOMCOM.

Steve