Should not URIs be resources and not actions

2007-06-30 13:20:42
Hi,

"Uniform Resource Identifier schemas describe resources. Why then are some
of the themost popular URIs schemas named as actions?

mailto: is an action, whilst email: is a resource. The first is the standard
and widely supported, and the second is not the standard and is not
supported by a single application.

Another example:
tel: is a resource, whilst callto: is an action. The second is supported by
Skype (a popular calling software) but is not a standard, and the first is
the standard but not supported by a single application.

To me it looks like calling users to actions is more important than pointing
out the appropriate resource. Which is not the point of an URI.

Am I missing something here? Where did it all go wrong?.."

Question originally asked in my blog:
http://thewebdesignjournal.com/2007/06/uri-schemas-are-dead/

What I mean to say: Should not the mailto URI schema be renamed email or
something?.. Or why is it named the way it is?
--
Daniel Aleksandersen