Re: draft-williams-on-channel-binding: IANA rules too complicated

2007-07-06 07:20:10

On Jul 6, 2007, at 4:02 AM, Jeffrey Altman wrote:

Sam Hartman wrote:
Unless there is strong support for the more complex registration
process in the draft, we'd like to go to expert review.

The technical argument in favor of a review list, whether a special
list for this purpose or some pre-existing list such as SecDir, is that it is not always easy to find experts who are familiar with both of the
protocols being bound.  As a result, having more reviewers is a safety
net.  This is especially important for reviews of security protocols.

What's the scope of this review? Are we asking the expert/list to merely review the appropriateness of the registration request, or are we asking the expert/list to review, in addition to the appropriateness of the registration request, the merit of the technical specifications that rely on the requested
value?

It seems to me that we can limit the scope of the review to the former (as suggested by the I-D), and then Expert Review is more than adequate. If others prefer the latter, then you'd need to Require Specification (and change the
wording of the I-D).

-- Kurt

I do not believe that the registration process defined in this draft is particularly burdensome. It is a well defined process with time limits
that will provide a predictable response time for requesters.  It
doesn't limit the Area Director's ability to select an expert to perform
the review.  It simply provides for transparency and public comment on
the registration.

I believe the registration procedure should be implemented as described
in the draft.

Jeffrey Altman