Re: Last Call: draft-wilde-text-fragment (URI Fragment Identifiers for the text/plain Media Type) to Proposed Standard

2007-07-06 23:12:40
An updated version taking into account the various comments
received during Last Call is now available as
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-wilde-text-fragment-07.txt.

Most Last Call comments were editorial in nature, but one commenter
strongly, and in the end convincingly, argued that the spec was too
complicated.

As a consequence, we have removed two features:
1) Regular expressions
2) The possibility to list several scheme parts
   in a single fragment identifier.
As a result of this, fragments for text/plain can no longer
consist of disconnected pieces.

While we do not want to exclude bringing the removed functionality
back in a future version of the spec if there is clear demand for it,
we feel that the reduced set of features is best suited for speedy
implementation and deployment, and also matches the fact that
text/plain by itself is very simple and straightforward.

The area directors in charge (first Ted Hardie, now Chris Newman)
have advised us that they don't expect another Last Call for this
feature reduction, but that we should announce this change to this
list. If you have concerns about this feature reduction, in
particular if you already have implemented some of the features
we removed, please notify this list.

With kind regards,     Martin.