RE: PKI is weakly secure (was Re: Updating the rules?)

2007-07-11 17:21:42
From a business point of view I am equally happy selling symmetric key, KDC
type approaches as PKI. In point of fact I am currently co-chair of a working
group that is developing a symmetric key protocol.

However there are very few security advantages in the KDC model (e.g.
resistance of symmetric key crypto to quantum cryptanalysis), plenty of
security disadvantages (much more limited hardware support, not possible to
apply same separation of duties controls) and some really serious operational
constraints.

From a historical point of view it is certainly true that we probably made a
mistake in the original conception of PKI as making the KDC model obsolete. A
synthesis of the two approaches would have been much more valuable. In
particular if SSL had supported kerberos ticket like capabilities from the
start. We later added KDC type capabilities to PKI with protocols like XKMS
and OCSP.

But the argument here strikes me as little more than an emacs/vi contest.

Regardless of the technical infrastructure you employ you still have to map the
network identifiers to real world identities. And that is an excercise that
requires expense and consistency and attention to detail and is as boring as
sin for the people actually doing it.

Proposals to do away with commercial PKI come in two flavors. The first is
technological magic which is founded not on a misunderstabing of the problem
but a complete failure to understand that the problem exists. The second is the
open source effort objection which is pretty much as viable as an open source
effort to do people's tax returns for them.